Ohio Lottery – History and Education
The Ohio Lottery was founded in May 1973, when a voter referendum approved it. The actual gaming started in 1974, and it consisted of weekly drawing. Later on, the lottery enlarged its possibilities by adding instant games, charitable bingo and increasing the frequency of drawings. The lottery is also part of a donating program, offering 4.5 percent of its sales to Ohio public schools. In 2005, the sum offered in this program was of about $14 billion.
The games that can be played in Ohio Lottery are daily Pick 3 and Pick 4 drawings, and the twice-weekly Mega Millions drawing, together with numerous instant games. It also offers charitable bingo and the “Cash Explosion” TV show.
The period in which a claim data sdy can be made is 180 days from the drawing date, for cashing tickets, and 180 days from game closing in the case of instant tickets. The payment method is simple for sums below $600. The winner simply asks the retailer to pay the corresponding sum. For prizes above $600 but below $5,000, the player must also go to the retailer and receive a PAY TO BEARER ticket which enables him/her to ask for the prize from the lottery. There are two ways to do that. Either the player gets the claim form from the retailer or downloads it from the official website of the lottery. It is important for players to know that identification, because some information are essential in order to establish the winners identity; therefore social security number, current address or photo identification are required. Upon the mailing of the claim form the payment will be made in 30 days. For prizes over $5,000, the nearest lottery office should be contacted, and the claim made in person.
Interesting things about the lottery…
• Biggest OH Lottery jackpot ever won was: $267 million Mega Millions jackpot, 2/28/06, sold at Lyons Main Stop, 105 West Morenci Street, Lyons, OH
• The Ohio Lottery is the 9th between state lotteries in sales.
• Ohio Lottery has almost 8,500 licensed retailers across the whole state
• Pick 3 and Pick 4 pools are ended at 12:25 p.m. Evening Pick 3 and Pick 4 close their pools at 7:25 p.m. Monday through Friday and 7:30 p.m. on Saturday.
• Every week, Ohio Lottery chooses a Retailer of The Week, among the partners.
• For help in problem gambling one should call Ohio Lottery Help Line and get support.